Monday, December 23, 2013

Goodness endures

Every year Mom used to draw and print a Christmas card for the family to use. My dad sent out hundreds of cards each year to colleagues and fellow-clergy in the Episcopal Diocese of New York, so it was probably a real budget-saver as well as being a card recipients looked forward to year after year.

My sister Mary evidently came across a stash of unused cards recently, so today we received in the mail a card that was created for a Christmas in the early 1970's (lookit the telephone on the corner of the piano!):



That's me in the background, with the youthful figure and the dark curly hair. Mary is in front of me; my wife, Rebekah; is at the piano, and Robin is doing her best to help the dogs keep on pitch.

This card reminds me that the good stuff we do can reach far beyond our expectations for it: another good reason for making good stuff (or trying to) whenever we can, without knowing or needing to know who shall become its audience, or how. Thanks, Mom! And thanks to Mary for using the card.

No comments: