Sunday, December 22, 2013

Writing for odd circumstances

I've done a lot of writing of scripts for odd circumstances. I once created a murder mystery that was performed in the first and third cars of a three-car historic steam train running between Holyoke and Westfield, Massachusetts. People in each car had to see all the characters, get enough clues to what was going on, and be entertained. Then we mixed up the seating for the second half of the ride, so people could consult and try to figure out whodunnit.

My current writing project is three short scripts on "flipping the classroom" for an education conference. We are filming using Moviestorm (moviestorm.co.uk), which calls itself "the world's first video sketch tool".
All the elements of creating an animated movie are there, at a fraction of the cost. Moviestorm movies are animations, or more specifically machinima. Will share some with you soon.

We're putting together what we know via a shared whiteboard at realtimeboard.com:

I am creating the scripts using Celtx (celtx.com) with both the offline editing tool and the online shared space (so stakeholders can see how the scripts are developing).

Celtx also makes it easy to set up the shot sequences and build a shooting schedule.

Suppose I should underline that I am a happy user of the technologies I mentioned above, but not employed by any of the firms that make them. Their existence (plus the Internet) makes it possible for me to attempt exciting stuff from a little house in rural Nova Scotia, far away from the hotspots of the film biz. The technologies also let me collaborate with people in California and the UK, removing almost every barrier except the time-zone issue from our project's path.

No comments: