Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jump rope

There is a long list of skills that I somehow overlooked learning as a young person. I don't think I ever hung by my knees from a parallel bar, or learned to make music, a la Bobby McFarrin, by thumping my chest and belly in various ways with my hands. I dance like an old white guy. Don't let me put a foot on a skateboard.

So, when I say that our new jumpropes arrived yesterday you will understand the trepidation I feel. Jumproping is good for the body in all sorts of ways, if not so good for the downstairs neighbor. And there is a gratifying skills progression you can set yourself to.

Or you can tangle your ankles every five or six passes of the rope (supposedly) under your feet, and stagger toward some sharp-edged piece of furniture, and try again with a mounting debit balance of dread.

This should be easier.

No comments: