Friday, June 11, 2010

learning learning

When I learn lines, I try to subdivide long scenes into meaningful and manageable chunks of a page or less of script. Then I learn the first chunk of the scene, and then the last chunk. This gives me confidence that I will be able to enter and leave the scene strong, even if I rattle around a lot in the middle. Similarly, I usually learn first my last scene in a play, and may even work backwards, scene by scene, depending on the rehearsal schedule.

What bumps into this is the debt I owe my other actors to provide them, as early as possible, with an energized performance that is somewhere in the neighborhood of what I hope to do in front of our audience. I don't much like surprising people with new business or a new emotional level when they are struggling with their own lines and characterizations. So scenes where I might not have much to say, but where other people's performances rely on my informed response to them, get high priority, too.

We ran through Act 2 last night pretty well; as you can see, the gaps are closing. By Sunday's rehearsal I hope to not have to call 'Line!' to the stage manager at all.
Just one week to go!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thats a great use of Goalscape - would be great to see you on stage - post a video if you can!