Thursday, June 3, 2010

Taking on Titus

About twenty years ago I wrote short versions of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus and Timon of Athens for the Hampshire Shakespeare Company, and they went really well. Last week I agreed to step into an almost-full-length version of Titus, as the actor playing Titus had to withdraw for personal reasons. I had my first rehearsal Tuesday, and the show opens June 18, and I am remembering why I enjoyed the twenty-minute version so much. There are so many lines...!

Fortunately, the cast and director are kind and patient, and I think it will turn out to be a great show for Ghostlight Theater. Hands chopped off here, tongues torn out there...and excellent grammar.

I made myself a Goalscape of the script, to keep track of the scenes I have to learn. As you can see, I have about a third of the lines down and a LONG way to go (the "pp" numbers are Titus' pages; the whole script is about 75 pages long:

I'll let you know how it goes...

No comments: