Sunday, November 30, 2014

Greetings from Singapore

No, not really; but in the phantom world of freelancing I spent a good part of the day in Southeast Asia.

The situation was this: I got a contract to do a text and functionality review of a website that is going live very soon. This is work I love to do, and do really well, so I was happy with the job.

One little hitch: the person offering the job was on the other side of midnight from me, and the freelance site where I found the job wouldn't let me start tracking my time because the job was not supposed to start until "tomorrow" (the client's today). We spent a lot of time trying to figure that one out, and found that the only immediate solution was for me to change my location on the freelance site to Singapore.

So I did and all worked well. I found lots of text issues (team in India writing under the direction of management in Germany) and not a few functional errors. You know that trick where you copy all the text of a long, long document and paste it into the text entry field that's supposed to hold a short title for something, and then try to submit the form? I love the error messages you can get to show up when they weren't prepared for you to try that.

I imagine that when I change back to my real location sometime tomorrow, all my hours worked will unspool themselves and the freelance site itself will crash.

But in the meantime, now that I've tested as far as I can until they fix what I already found, I will stroll over to Upper Buckit Pimah Road and visit Beauty World Center. We had friends who lived here in Singapore once, and I always had meant to drop in on them...



1 comment:

Lee said...

Thanks for sharing your story! That is way too funny about the time keeping.