Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Lost in the maps

I have been working on a fun freelance project for a UK company, Anquet. Part of my work has involved creating image maps off huge images of Britain, Scotland, and Wales. You can click on a sector on the image to download a detailed map of that sector.

sample map
The client just told me the first feature is live, so I went to check it out and am having fun both with the map and the company's downloadable app. Next time I'm in UK, I'll have this on my tablet.

One of the delights of the project was running into all sorts of obscure-to-me place names in the British Isles, names I had heard at some point in the past and filed without quite knowing where in the country they were. Some few I have visited, but the majority of these odd but old friends I know from historical novels and other sources.

Or, of course, from the Flanders and Swann song, "The Slow Train", made up of names of now-closed train stations across England:

woodcut of a railway worker

No comments: