Monday, December 8, 2014

Scribble, scribble

quote about writing
I have somewhere an unfinished screenplay about the life of a freelance writer. I hear you yawning already. But there was a very funny scene with the client who...well, I guess you had to be there.

I will say, though, that working for a wide range of clients and potential clients is super agility exercise for the brain. I am currently working on economic news for the Persian Gulf, business plans for a British company, a screenplay about a hit man with no head for finance, a study guide for those preparing for a standardized exam, and a children's book set in West Africa. I am in conversations about possible jobs with five or six other clients, and not one of the jobs matches any other that I am currently working on or trying to get.

Although I have spent years and years multi-tasking, I am by nature a bear of very little brain. I value being able to contemplate the task, or the task just done, for a little while to understand the full savor of it, rather than just churning along. But the consolation of extended freelancing is that it is never dull.

And there is no point trying to complete that screenplay. The website Clients from Hell catalogs the freelancer's life much better than I ever could.

Not that any of my own clients would ever, ever appear on that site...

No comments: